Followers

Sunday, June 26, 2016

MY TREE BARK TUTORIAL AND MISS DAISY STAMPS DT..










Hello Everyone...

Time for my tree bark tutorial and sorry there is a lot of photos and steps..

                                      

This is what I started out with..my supplies..

                                        



Layer strips of masking tape onto canvas or whatever you want to make your tree on to form a base for the scrunched up tape to stick to..

                                                   


Now add strips of tape and squish it up as you stick it down - not neat - just do it as it comes...


and keep layering the strips until you think you have enough and you can make" knots" for the tree too..

                                                  


I placed my "Knot"in the centre and will add another later...

                              


Once I'm happy with the tape -'[  it keeps sticking up a bit and wont stick down tight, but we are gonna fix that]..we come to modge podge or any medium that dries hard..

                                            

While it is drying bits still pop up so just press them down while drying with a heat gun and they eventually stick down ....and when

dry we cover the whole tree and page with Gesso...this makes a non porous background for whatever your colour medium is..
                                                       

Now for the fun part....PAINT.....
First layer - Burnt Sienna or any light reddy brown colour..
                                            


Second Layer - Burnt Umber or any darker reddy brown paint..
                                              

Third layer - Raw Umber - or any shade of a darker brown.
Use the brush really lightly and you get those strokes showing which gives it the natural texture of bark..
                                                 

Fourth Layer - A light splattering of black..
All these coats were added while paint still wet..you can wait for each layer to dry if you want...I just don't have a lot of patience..and I really think it works better while the layers are still wet.

                                       

NOW..I let it dry - be back after lunch..

                                                       



Two ham,cheese and onion sandwhiches later..I'm back..
Have coloured the background with Geltos and used baby wipes to help wet and spread.. then used my fingers on the rest....


Back to the tree...this time a bit of shading with a black pastel crayon and add any more black and brown paint to the trunk and branch just in case it needs it...as it dries it sometimes leaves too much white showing..

                                 


Punch out a gazillion leaves and stick them down..only on the stalk ends so they pop out..




                                
Then I added my "Sweet Blooms" image from Miss Daisy Stamps

Little cutie has even made diamonds grow in the centre of her flowers...
                                




Now that was supposed to be the end of my tutorial...but the more I looked at this project over the last fews days.. the more it rattled me and I was not happy that I place the branch so low down the page and made it so thick...So I added another branch and leaves...and a Marianne watering can and wheelbarrow die...



Some leaves in the join of the branch and then added a birdhouse tied on the branch with string..now I'm happier...
          


Thanks so much for stopping by and hope my tutorial showed you just how easy it really is..I love doing these trees and I feel a forest coming on in the near future..with a Deer..and snow..you just never know..

See you tomorrow..

luv CHRISSYxx



25 comments:

Desire Fourie said...

Wow Chrissy what an amazing tutorial. That tree is just stunning. Love the scene you have created around it with the the girl. Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful talents with us. Oh by the way those sandwiches sounds yummy.
Hugs Desíre {Doing Life}

Kate 'Rijacki' Ledum said...

Absolutely amazing. Thank you for the tutorial. It's a grand technique!

aussie aNNie said...

Fabulous tutorial and I am one for sure to try this once my mojo returns. Great step by step instructions and looks awesome...hugs.x

Marianne's Craftroom said...

Wow words fail me, this is fabulous, so clever. The added extras really finish it off. Well done. Hope you will enter my giveaway x

McCrafty's Cards said...

Wow Chrissy thank you so much for sharing this with us, its brilliant
Kevin xx

Carol S. said...

Chrissy this is fabulous. I love painting trees but this gives much more texture and makes it come alive. Brilliant!!!! Thank you for taking the time to share it with us. Hope you enjoyed your sandwich too!! Big hugs, Carol S.xxxx

Chris said...

Thanks for the tutorial Chrissy, I'm really going to have to try this...looks fun and the finished result is so realistic!
Fab card too!
Chris
x

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

Excellent tutorial with fantastic and interesting results! Have a great day xx

Miss Daisy Stamps said...

Fabulous and beautiful work, Chrissy. Thank you very much for showing us the step-by-steps for your amazing tree. This is a superb tutorial. You are an inspiration. Happy Stamping! Love, Miss Daisy

Grandma Bonnie said...

Thank you, Chrissy! What a fun tutorial!

http://cheryl-cherylscreativeatcscards.blogspot.co.uk/ said...

Oh great tutorial my friend I remember doing a canvas with a tree and I remember getting my trunk too big ha ha still is. But really love yours and the wonderful scene you have created around the tree xxxxxxxx

Sarah said...

Aaaaaah....so thats how it's done! An incredible tutorial and finished project Chrissy xx

CraftinGranny said...

Totally awesome Chrissy!!! Thanks so much for sharing. Hugs

Dr Sonia S V said...

Oooh what an amazing tutorial Chrissy...have always drooled at your tree trunk and you are so super generous in sharing the technique
Thank you so much !!
Cheers
Dr Sonia

coldwaters2 said...

Beautiful card Chrissy and what a fantastic tutorial, wow, awesome work
hugs
lorraine x

Margreet said...

Wow, such a brilliant tutorial, Chrissy...great step-by-steps! And the end result is awesome!
xxx Margreet

Pop's Cards said...

Good morning sweetie, what a gorgeous creation from you today :0) hugs Pops x

Pamellia said...

Fabulous tutorial Chrissy. I love how your bark turned out, so realistic looking! Thanks for the tips and tricks. hugs :)

*Vicki* said...

Oh wow Crissy, this is totally amazing and I love your tutorial on how you've done this idea!! You clever girl!! :) I adore your projects and I never wouldn't have guessed this is how you do it! Thanks for sharing! HUGS

crafty-stamper said...

Love how you make your trees and great step by step
Carol x

Wendy said...

Absolutely fabulous Chrissy! Thanks for sharing your tutorial, so clever.
Hugs
Wendy xx

Sue B said...

Wow! it's wonderful to see how you achieve the tree bark Chrissy… it looks SO real… love the finished canvas… so sweet with the little birdhouse and wheelbarrow! :-) I can't wait to see one with snow on now!!
Hope you're having a good week!
Big hugs Sue B xx

Veerle said...

Super tutorial Chrissy, thx for sharing. I just love your tree looks amazing.
And before you add the small downwards little branch and the dot of greenery where that brach sit your tree has a face. At the end he still has a face but it is less clear to see, so fun. Hugs, Veerle xx

Barb said...

Fabulous tutorial, loving your tree, thanks for sharing it. Barb

Wendy Nicola Jackson said...

Stunning Chrissy. Such a cool card and wonderful tutorial! Thanks for showing us your process, it's awesome. Hugs, Wends xoxo